Saturday, December 20, 2008

Happy Birthday Dr.M !!!

Today,
one of the very few people I admire and respect turns 83..
He is none other than our former Prime Minister,
Tun Dr. Mahathir Mohamad
He was Malaysia's longest serving Prime Minister, occupying that seat from 1981 to 2003.
A man of all embracing vision,
one can say without a doubt Malaysia's former premier always spoke his mind.
My hats off to you, Dr.M for your boldness
that has made Malaysia's name known in the face of the world...

Here are two articles taken from MSN Malaysia News:

Dr Mahathir Mohamad introduces a photo of a child victim of war on display while delivering his speech at the "Expose War Crimes, Criminalise War" International Conference and Exhibition in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, Feb. 5, 2007. Mahathir accused George W. Bush and Tony Blair of being more evil and worse murderers than Saddam Hussein and the Sept. 11 attackers. In some of his most blistering insults against the U.S. and British leaders, Mahathir said their war in Iraq had caused worse terror than al-Qaida's suicide bombers around the world. (AP Photo)


Dr Mahathir Mohamad tries to hold back his tears after his last speech at the general assembly of the ruling United Malays National Organization (UMNO) as Malaysia's prime minister, before his retirement. Kuala Lumpur, Thursday June 19, 2003. (AP Photo)


I remembered vividly that very day Dr.M announced his retirement 5 years ago.
I was browsing through the tv channels to see if there were any
interesting programs after one whole day of revision .
And then, I happen to land on the live telecast of UMNO's general assembly.
Dr.M was giving his speech at that time.
Normally, i wouldn't be bothered to listen to another boring speech
and would quickly switch to another channel...
Somehow I just did not on dat historic day..
I continued listening and then came that defining moment
where he announced his stepping down from being the PM...
I was SHOCKED.
and I literally broke down into tears right in front of the tv...
i'm serious.
Was that a joke or was it for real?
I asked myself.
I couldn't believe my eyes nor could I believe my ears.
Sadly, it was true.

5 years has gone by.
THANK YOU Dr.M
for making the difference to Malaysia, my beloved country.
You will always be remembered.

No comments:

 
Copyright 2009 iamjolin